Monday, December 2, 2013

Goood Morrrning, Vietnam!


On Sunday afternoon, I flew to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with Justin.  I have wanted to start going along on some of his short trips.  With some help from our friends, neighbors, our driver and wonderful live in helper, I was able to get a schedule put together for the girls.

Ho Chi Minh City, formerly named Saigon, is the largest city in VietnamImmediately after the communist takeover of South Vietnam in 1975, a provisional government renamed the city after Hồ Chí Minh, the late North Vietnamese leader.


Our plan was to go on a walking tour, but when we got to the hotel one of his sales reps was waiting for us.  We spent the afternoon with Yothin and his driver.  It was great to have our very own tour guide!

Justin has told me the motorbike situation in KL is nothing compared to HCMC…He was right!!!!  They by far out number the cars.  In KL, you will mostly see single riders, but there most were double, triple and many families of 4!  Many riders wore masks because of the fumes. 

 Our first stop was Ben Thanh Market.  To say it was overwhelming is an understatement.  It was packed with tiny stalls selling T-shirts, clothing, fabric for dresses, dress shirts and suits.  We did not stay long!

Next we went to a shop that sold silk embroidery artwork.  At first I thought they were paintings because there was so much detail.
 We bought this small one for 1,127,500 Vietnam Dong (VND).
To convert VND to US $ is a lesson in decimal points.  You move it 4 places to left and then divide by 2.  So this was about $55.

City Hall


 Ready for Christmas
 

This is the hotel that the press stayed in during the war.


 The Central Post Office…built between 1886 and 1891.
Notre Dame Cathedral…built from 1877 to 1883 with materials shipped in from France. 





During our coffee break, I was mesmerized by the traffic flow.  There are crosswalks marked, but no lights to let pedestrians go.  Bicycles, cars, Vespas and motorbikes come from all directions and somehow make room for everyone to pass.  This section was the craziest I saw, but it was busy everywhere.  Many of the streets we went on were one ways and the bikes had the right lane.
 The guy in the black shirt was polishing Yothin's shoes.

Earlier in the day, I had stopped at a dress shop.  
Yothin has a friend that owns a shop so we went there.
 I had the shop to myself and MANY helpers!
 One is being altered and he is making me one from a style I tried on, but wanted in a different color.  Now I will be ready for the American Ball in a few months!!!!

Justin had a dinner meeting, so I ordered room service and headed to the spa.

Justin also had an early morning meeting, so I just stayed at the hotel.  
The guys picked me up for lunch.


 We stayed away from the frog and pig uterus, but we did have some yummy fresh spring rolls!
It was a fun 24 hours in Vietnam.  
We will be back to HCMC over Spring Break with Justin's parents for a few days,
 and then head to the beach.

I enjoyed meeting more of his coworkers, and seeing some of the territory he covers.
If we can get the schedules to work out I may go to Bangkok with him the end of next week.  

Life is Good with quick get aways.

No comments:

Post a Comment