Thursday, February 7, 2013

First REAL Week


I haven't posted in a few days for 2 reasons:
1. We haven't had the Internet---just got hooked up this morning
2.  We have been busy getting into LIVING in Malaysia mode and not just acting like we are on vacation!!
This was a pretty busy week........
Macy started preschool on Monday and the girls took their new bus to school.
 After school on Monday, Hannah had her first Brownie meeting with her new troop.  They did a lot of fun Chinese New Year activities and earned a fun badge for the day!
Monday night our maid, Melona, moved in.  She has been great......she makes breakfast for us, gets lunches together for the girls, cleans, does laundry and watches Whitney during the day if I need her to.  She has been great.  I haven't done laundry or dishes since we moved in--I LOVE IT!!!!!  She also helps with dinner and tonight is making a dish from the Philippines.
Everyone in our neighborhood has been very friendly.  Everyone I have met so far is not originally from Malaysia, so they all know what it is like to be new and move from another country.  However, for many of them this is not their first move to a new country.  Our story of moving from Indiana in the US is not all that interesting compared to the places others have been!

On Tuesday, Whitney stayed back with Melona, and Justin and I went on our orientation of the city with the relocation company.  We visited a few parks, malls and a hospital. 
 Justin's favorite stop was the wet market:

 I think you could find just about any kind of fruit or vegetable there.

Justin was in heaven because there was plenty of meat.
 And it was fresh......when they would run low, they could just go to the supply waiting in the back. 
 Luckily, we weren't around long enough to see that happen.

 Note to self:  When you have to walk behind a door in the back of the market, don't go:
 Back in the front, we found these tiny bananas and brought some home for the girls--they love them and they are just the right size.

Wednesday, our driver started and I love that too!
  My only driving experience in Malaysia so far is moving the van from the driveway to the street so the girls could play.  Apparently it was pretty comical because the girls laughed at me the whole time!  It was hard to change gears with my left hand and I couldn't see the curb on the left side.  Driving here has been my main stresser since we came to visit in October.  I was worried about driving on the left, not knowing where to go and the MOTORBIKES that are EVERYWHERE. He has lived in the area his whole life so he knows all the places I ask him to take me and knows MANY shortcuts!!!  He may get sick of me saying---"I just need to run in for a minute" and leaving kids in the car.  I have done that at the grocery store a few times when I just need 1 or 2 things!!! 
Yesterday, I was so glad he was there.....I got confused coming out of a mall and ended up not at the same door I went in.  I had a few seconds of panic and then called him and said, "I am at L19 in the parking lot, please come get me.".......He did in just a few minutes.

Wednesday after school, Hannah started her after school activities.  She stays after for another class and takes a later bus home.  Kaylee opted out, but now wants to try and join after seeing most kids stay after school.
Wednesday- In-line Skating
Thursday- Choir
Friday-Soccer

Thursday, I met with both teachers and found out more about what the Bigs are doing at school.  I got to school a bit early so I went to the library to read.  I had a whole hour to read by myself, during the day and it was great!

Today is Friday, and I have been hanging out at the house for the Internet guy...he was to come before 1:00.    He did, but I had to wait around for him.   Melona and the driver did both drop off and pick up at preschool today.

Life has been Good our first week of really LIVING IN MALAYSIA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment