Monday, September 5, 2011

FISH



Last week we went to Hannah's "Meet the Teacher" night and learned about a school wide program they use to promote good behavior. The FISH program helps reward positive behaviors instantly. When a student demonstrates something positive they are given a paper fish and they write their name on it and put it in the jar. Each day a name is drawn, and then from those names there is a weekly and monthly drawing.
I decided to try this at home to see if it would work with the girls. We had to get a few things organized before we could start earning fish:

I drew the fish
Hannah cut them out
I made a pond on our sliding glass door
Two envelopes were hung up--one for blank fish and one for filled out fish
We went over the "rules" of the fish again.........at home I decided that if there was a negative behavior they could possibly loose a fish....at school no fish are lost

Then, we were set and ready to start earning fish!!!!

Our sliding door is also used for displaying other important information.......our phone number and house number for the girls to remember. I have also put Hannah's sight words, spelling words and math concepts up.


All three girls earned their first fish because there were no issues while I took a shower. We needed to head to the mall for a few things, so I told the girls they each would start with 3 fish and if there were problems they would lose some. When they started running around the racks of clothes, I calmly told them they each lost a fish and they instantly stopped. It was amazing.........I didn't have to repeat myself or get cranky! When our game of "I Spy" got out of hand at the check out they also each lost fish. However, they earned one back for walking nicely to the shoe store.....so now they had 2 again! They lost one at the shoe store, but gained one back for being quiet on the car ride home. For this trip they seemed to be working as a team for everything naughty and nice so it was easy to keep track of who had what for fish. Hannah loved writing her name and Macy's name on the fish. Kaylee wanted to decorate her fish, so she got out the markers. Everyone was excited about putting their fish in the envelope and I was glad the shopping trip went well. For the rest of the day they earned fish for doing nice things. Before bed I drew out a fish and a "Hannah" fish got to go swim in the pond. Every Sunday night we will pick a fish from the pond, and that person will get a dollar to spend at the Target Dollar Bin. Hopefully, the girls will continue to be excited about earning fish, and it will be an easy way for me to reward good behavior.



Life is Good with FISH!!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea!!! I'm totally going to use this one at home. Lo's school does a similar thing with bear paws. It never occurred to me to try it at home-we need it! It's been a hard few weeks!

    ReplyDelete