Monday, November 7, 2011

Drinks Anyone?!?!

At my MOPS meeting on Friday, my very crafty friend, Erin, taught us how to make coasters out of ceramic tiles. I have been trying to find a good idea for teacher gifts for Christmas and thought these would be great. So.............off to Hobby Lobby Macy and I went.
Thankfully, by the time we got to "the Lobby" Macy had fallen asleep so she didn't care how much time I took. I decided on neutral scrapbook paper( cut into 4 by 4 inch squares) since I didn't know what the teachers' decorating styles are. We also needed cork backing, 4 and a 1/4 inch square tiles, Mod Podge---I got glossy and brushes to apply the MP.
First step was to cut my roll of cork into 4 by 4 squares. I bought the kind with an adhesive back so it was easy to attach to the tile. You could also use MP to get it to stick.
Next, we(Kaylee and I....we decided you should be at least 3 to use MP, so Macy needs to wait 3 weeks!!!!) put a light layer of MP on the back of the 4 by 4 squares of scrapbook paper.
We put the paper on the tile and then put our first coat of MP on the paper.
Once all the first coats were done, we added a second coat. Next time I have little helpers with MP, I will put foil down so we don't get it all over the counter again!!!!
2 Child's Day Out Teachers
2 Pre-K Teachers
1 1st Grade Teacher
4 Coasters for each..............
20 Decorated Tiles
I plan to make a set of magnets to coordinate with the coasters We will wait until Macy is 3 so she can use MP!!!!


Life Is Good with fun, inexpensive gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment