Thursday, March 21, 2013

Trying to Learn New Things



Today's adventure was to learn about Islam.  The first stop was the National Mosque.

The National Mosque is a uniquely designed building that has traditional Islamic art. It’s design is based upon the Grand Mosque in Mecca(the Holy City in Saudi Arabia) with 48 small domes and the main dome has the character of a multi fold “semi-opened blue umbrella” that is the roof which symbolises the 5 pillars of Islam and the 13 states of Malaysia. The 73 meter tall minaret has the shape of a “closed blue umbrella”. 

The 5 Pillars
1.  Declaration of Faith
2.  The Prayer
3.  The Prescribed Charity
4.  Fasting
5.  Pilgrimage 

This area can hold 3,000 people, but in the areas above and behind a total of 15,000 can worship.

****Learning as I go, so I had to do a little cutting and pasting with these facts*****

 There are repeating elements in Islamic art, such as the use of geometrical floral or vegetal designs in a repetition known as the arabesque. The arabesque in Islamic art is often used to symbolize the transcendent, indivisible and infinite nature of God. Mistakes in repetitions may be intentionally introduced as a show of humility by artists who believe only God can produce perfection, although this theory is disputed.

Typically, though not entirely, Islamic art has focused on the depiction of patterns and Arabic calligraphy, rather than on figures, because it is feared by many Muslims that the depiction of the human form is idolatry and thereby a sin against God, forbidden in the Qur'an


 To enter the mosque, I had to remove my shoes and be completely covered.


 After visiting the mosque, we headed here:

When I got home and checked my pictures I realized I didn't take any pictures of what I saw on display!  I will have to make sure to get some pics on the next trip.

There were very detailed models of mosques....awesome architecture!
There were also galleries of:
Textiles
Ceramics
Qur'ans
Coins
Metalworks

Life is Good when you learn new things..(I still have much more to learn about this new country of ours!!!!)

1 comment: